[MD] How to Understand the MOQ

plattholden at gmail.com plattholden at gmail.com
Wed May 19 09:33:19 PDT 2010

Hi Steve,
Maybe the real problem is what the MOQ structure is built on -- each
individual's unique experience of Quality, colored by her life experiences.

We can all pretty much agree that Quality exists, but the forms it takes will
vary all over the lot. Some consider American Idol to be entertaining. I think
it's a travesty of the musician's art.

So interpretations of the MOQ are bound to be different. Each person brings his
own perspectives to the table. As Pirsig observed at the beginning of LIla,

"Don't do it. You'll get into nothing but trouble. You're just going to start
up a thousand dumb arguments about something that was perfectly clear until you
came along. You're going to make ten thousand opponents and zero friends
because the moment you open your mouth to say one thing about the nature of
reality you automatically have a whole set of enemies who've already said
reality is something else." (Lila, 5)

So what's to be gained? Once in awhile somebody says something that
illuminates. Those moments are worth the time spent. For the rest, enjoy. If I
didn't find this site fun, and occasionally enriching, I would have left long
ago.

Best,
Platt