[MD] Relativism

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Wed May 19 17:05:38 PDT 2010

dmb said:
I doubt that Rorty denies that there is an objective reality. He just thinks we can't have access to it.

Steve replied:

First of all, the relationship of pragmatism and the MOQ to objective reality should not be simple denial. . Nowhere does Pirsig say "objective reality does not exist." On the contrary, Pirsig says in the LC annotations, "The MOQ does not deny the traditional scientific view of reality as composed of material substance and independent of us. It says it is an extremely high quality idea. We should follow it whenever it is practical to do so."

dmb replies:

The quote just says that the idea of an independent reality has practical value in many situations, in a science lab or in rush-hour traffic for example. That's why he tells us that the MOQ's purpose is not to completely trash SOM, but "unlike SOM the MOQ does not insist on a single exclusive truth. If subjects and objects are held to be the ultimate reality then we're permitted only one construction of things - that which corresponds to the 'objective' world - and all other constructions are unreal." Anyway, I think you're quite mistaken. Pirsig and Rorty can both be seen rejecting correspondence theory of truth and the possibility of objective knowledge but they do so for different reasons. For Pirsig and James, it follows from their rejection of SOM but for Rorty it follows from the inability to get outside of our concepts and compare them with an unconceptualized external reality. He doesn't deny SOM so much as he denies that S can have access to O.

"There is no point in raising questions of truth ...because between ourselves and the thing judged there always intervenes mind, language, a perspective chosen among dozens, on description chosen out thousands." (Rorty, 1976:67)

"There is no way to hold the world in one hand and our descriptions of it in the other and compare the two." (Rorty, 1981:180)

"The notion of a 'theory of knowledge' will not make sense unless we have confused causation with justification in the manner of Locke." (Rorty, 1979:152)

That last one is the most interesting. As I read it, Rorty think we can only have a casual relationship with the world, a brute physical relationship with the world, but we can never use that world to justify our beliefs because there is no way to get outside our language. And of course this is how he lands on the view that there can be no restraints on justification except conversational constraints.

Steve said:
Here is Rorty denying the notion that there is a reality that we cannot have access to:

dmb says:

I honestly don't see it, Steve. Please explain how any of the quotes constitute a denial of objective reality or a rejection of SOM. You can pick your favorite and walk me through it if you like, but I'm very skeptical. You seemed so confident about this, saying you could give me ten quotes and yet it would be generous to say this evidence is weak. It wouldn't be too stingy to say this doesn't count as evidence at all. I'm just leaving open the possibility that you can make a case for one or more of these. If you find a quote that seems better, feel free. Again, I think Rorty is rejecting the problematic formulations that follow from SOM but not SOM itself and you're conflating them in such a way that rejecting the correspondence theory also means a rejection SOM, but that's not necessarily the case. In some, Rorty seems to be doing battle with SOMers and yet he does not challenge that dualism per se. Wouldn't that be the time to strike out against it?