[MD] Are There Bad Questions?: Pirsig

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 16:08:51 PDT 2010

All due apologies to anyone who wanted to read the two
posts, but had trouble because they looked like bad free
verse.  They are posted here now:

http://pirsigaffliction.blogspot.com/2010/05/are-there-bad-questions.html

Steve said:
I recommended avoiding ever identifying with any philosophical
isms because he would make no friends and hand his enemies
a line of attack since every ism has its set of counter
arguments.  Actual books about chess openings are about
defenses as well. Despite DMBs view of empirisism, you can
actually get *accused* of empiricism as my friend recently
was. Likewise, you can be *accused* of being a realist or an
idealist or a materialist or an anti-realist or any other sort of
proponent of an ism, and defending that ism will always put
you on the defensive.

Matt:
Your recommendation is good.  Also mention the concurrent
tactic--because having isms foisted on oneself is the price
of philosophical dialogue (because if you have a viewpoint,
the viewpoint might as well be named and put into
philosophical space, a similar bit of wisdom to what Rorty
learned about theses)--of denying you know what the other
person means by the ism.  In the short run, your opponent
can always respond with laughter and claim you are an
ignoramus, but while laughter is sometimes appropriate in
conversation, it isn't an argument, and until (as you well
know) the ism is articulated to a reasonable degree you
actually have the moral high-ground.

Because when it comes down to it, most philosophical (or
academic) dialogue is posturing.  And the fact of the matter
is that if you just assume a definition of the ism, your
opponent (as you well know) can always shift back to
whatever hidden, assumed definition that they like.  Then
the two people just talk past each other.  Like the say,
when you assume, you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me."
So it's actually morally upright to exude patience and
request a clear articulation of the ism, or whatever, that
the two people can then agree on to simultaneously
discuss.  And in combat, after the request for articulation,
if you get one, you are then always left the option of
saying, "that ain't me," and moving on if it's a strawman
and doesn't look like you (which they usually don't).  As
a dialectical reply, it is the move of forcing the burden of
proof on your opponent.

Steve said:
One I would add and maybe you'll have some thoughts on
is that bit in the Bagini interview where Pirsig says in
defense of the uniqueness of his system that is the only
one that began with the question "what is Quality?" (why
is THAT relevant??) which I guess also relates to his being
interested in reading a biuography of James and his
speculation in Lila that "maybe the ultimate truth about the
world isn't history or sociology but biography."

Matt:
Did you know that the history as biography bit is from
Emerson?  If anybody ever wonders why I've begun talking
about Romanticism and Emerson so much, think about the
relationship between Thoreau and Emerson, and their
relationships to ZMM and Lila.

The Baginni interview is a curious artifact.  If you think
about his writing on the analogy of a polygraph, then ZMM
and Lila (and to a lesser extent Lila's Child) would register
steady, baseline movements from the needle.  The Baginni
interview makes the needle go crazy.  While the two books
basically all point in a consistent direction (whatever
direction that is), the interview is clearly under agitation
and points in all kinds of directions.  If the interview was
our baseline for Pirsig's philosophy, it would be impossible
to read ZMM or Lila.

Interestingly, of course, the agitation is dialectical,
philosophical conversation, the kind I just finished saying is
what the MoQ was created for.  I think Pirsig is being
eristically obscure when he suggests that no other
metaphysics has centered around "What is Quality?",
implying by that that the MoQ is superior for it, but he's
absolutely right when being pressed by Baginni that
alternative lines of reasoning involve "sticking to the
subject," which lends a lot of credence to our Rorty-inspired
suggestion that Pirsig is rejecting questions and changing
the subject.  I lay out my own route through that question,
and how it determines different answers than SOM, in still
my favorite post on Pirsig, "What is Quality?"

http://pirsigaffliction.blogspot.com/2007/01/what-is-quality.html

Matt