[MD] Reading & Comprehension

Mary marysonthego at gmail.com
Sat May 22 08:46:19 PDT 2010

Hi DMB & Bo,

On Behalf Of skutvik at online.no
> Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:40 PM
> To: moq_discuss at moqtalk.org
> Subject: Re: [MD] Reading & Comprehension
>
> DMB, All.
>
> 11 May you quoted  a lot of philosophers allegedly having rejected
> SOM and you conclude (I must begin with the end to make sense  :
>
> > If SOM and the intellectual level are identical, then how would it be
> > possible for all four of these philosophers to reject it for
> > intellectual reasons?

[Mary Replies]
Bo says RMP rejected SOM for Quality reasons:

> Phaedrus rejected SOM for Quality reasons and so did "these
> philosophers", but they brought it no further.

[Mary Replies]
I wonder if what you weren't driving at, though, DMB, was the question of
how one (or 4 philosophers as in your example) can reject SOM by using SOM?
This is a perfectly natural outgrowth of SOM.  A somewhat overdue next
logical step wouldn't you say?  I could as well turn the question back
around and ask you why not?

If the Intellectual level contains as part of its value set the notion of
free and independent thought unfettered by Social constraints, beholden only
to the experiential, then what would prevent it?  Seems logical to me that
once the Intellectual Level had thoroughly trounced the Social Level with
its unassailable objective logic, the next victim would be SOM itself.
Patterns are trusty friends, though, and this has taken a very long time to
emerge.

If the Intellectual Level can commit heresy against the Social, what's to
stop the open-minded intellect from committing heresy against itself?

It is entirely possible to trash SOM by SOM.  You can see it every day in
this very forum.  It is a valid - high Quality - use of SOM.

It is exactly what Pirsig himself did.

Best,
Mary