[MD] Are There Bad Questions?: Pirsig

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Sun May 23 13:35:24 PDT 2010

> Ron:
> The main thrust you keep missing is the value of making the distinction
> between the experience of being and the experience of explaination.

That is an excellent way of putting the problem many of us
often feel with Bo's interpretation.  In scholasticism, it was
the distinction between the ordo essendi and the ordo
cognoscendi.  The relation between the two has caused
philosophical trouble for a long time, but the reduction of
essendi to cognoscendi, being to knowing (or explanation)
is a good way of putting the thesis of idealism.  The
experience of Bo's philosophy is perhaps a good suggestion
about why we should avoid idealism.

This doesn't mean Bo doesn't say true things, or get Pirsig
right occasionally, or have the right to his own philosophical
views.  It's just one more attempt to try and do justice to my
personal sense that Bo's general ambiance is wrong-headed,
just as Bo's calling me a "philosophologist" (which also echoes
the feelings of many here) is Bo's attempt to do justice to his
personal sense that the general ambiance in my writing is
wrong-headed.

Matt