[MD] the sophists

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Mon May 24 10:14:32 PDT 2010

On May 24, 2010, at 12:42 PM, david buchanan wrote:

> And it is no accident that we read this in chapter 30, after Pirsig hitches his wagon to James's pragmatic theory of truth and radical empiricism. As a matter of fact, Buddhist scholars recognized James as an ally over a hundred years ago.

And well they should.

James's biography clearly states he had read and reread
Upanishad and Buddhist texts, texts that belonged to his
father.  This would have been around 1870.

 Here's a list of some of the books:

	Modern Buddhist -
	Religion des Buddha (Vol.1) - Koeppen
	Le Buddhisme - Taine
	Weltauffas der Buddhisten - Bastian
	Brahma Somej: Four Lectures - Sen

	(William James: In the Maelstrom of American Modernism
		by Robert D. Richardson,paperback,p.126)

James's ideas of pure experience weren't pulled out of the sky.

___