[MD] Are There Bad Questions?: Rorty

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 08:15:48 PDT 2010

DMB said:
I read this all the way through this bad boy but I don't get
it. It's not at all clear WHAT the bad questions are or WHY
they're so bad. (I've learned that elsewhere.) Isn't it all
just a little too meta and not enough meat? Or was it your
point to not have point, a performance of Rortyism at it's
finest?

Matt:
I was thinking about this response again, and it occurs to
me how silly it is.  For one, the title clearly indicated what
I was going to talk about: "are there bad questions?" not
"what are the bad questions?"  And secondly, why is asking
the former question once in a while bad?  In fact, since
what you disagree about most in Rorty seems not to be
any of his negative conclusions, which you by and large
agree with, but the _way_ he goes about them (and this
way, on your view, somehow precludes him from having any
positive conclusions), wouldn't all of your disagreements
with him be "meta" with no "meat," too?  And since this is
the level at which you disagree with Rorty, isn't it a good
idea to actually discuss it (rather than just metaly shouting
"I strenuously disagree!" all the time).

The what and why are usually what I talk about (usually

with Rorty as my proxy), so I thought I'd do something
different.  Steve has been handlying the what and why very
well in contradistinction to your (mysterious) position, so I
thought I'd ask a different question, a question about the
position the Steve and I by and large seem to share, a
question about the vocabulary we use to engage in
philosophy just in case people were wondering about it.
Isn't it healthy for somebody like me to ask a question, not
_with_ the critical vocabulary he typically employs, but
_about_ the vocabulary he typically employs?  Isn't it a
good idea for every philosopher to do that once in a while?

I don't care if you shout.  I mainly just shout these days.
It's just what you were shouting that seems pretty silly.
It's like you were disagreeing with doing philosophy, the
activity of asking as many questions from as many angles
as you can think of, canvassing the chess moves available.

Matt