[MD] Reading & Comprehension

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Wed May 26 01:10:53 PDT 2010

Mary, DMB and All.

24 May. :

DMB had said:
> > The intellect can produce any number of metaphysical systems. SOM
> > and the MOQ are two such systems and they can hang next to countless
> > other...

Mary Replied:
> > Yes.  'Any number' of systems.  All of them involve a subject
> > thinking about an object.  All are included.  None are left out.

Intellect - the Q level - can NOT produce any number of metaphysical
systems, it is the S/O tap-root from which many off-shoots have
grown. For instance the mind/matter one which has spawned the
academical distinction between humanities and sciences and
philosophy belongs to the former category and philosophy certainly
can - and has produced countless "systems". None of these need
carry an explicit S/O stamp, but the overarching presupposition is that
all are subjective theories about a reality "out there". So we see that
DMB and the fundamentalists don't rgard the 4th level as the S/O
distinction, but as its subjective part. And now we understand the
juggernaut that Pirsig was up against in constructing a system which
was supposed to  de-arm SOM by making it a subsystem of its own.
He started out correctly  with the "no one can avoid metaphysics"
opening which went straight at the tap-root, but  then took the fatal turn
with the "metaphysics a ten thousand word menu ..." and by this the
MOQ became another Aristotelian "metaphysics" i.e. a theory about
reality, and did not get off the ground.

Regarding Mary's I think it fits nicely: The presupposition of DMB is
that "intellect" is the subjective mind thinking about the objective world.

As not to give DMB a chance to delete and find some harmless issue I
stop here.

Bodvar