[MD] Perennial Philosophy vs. empirical truth

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Wed May 26 11:19:23 PDT 2010

Greetings Adrie, Platt and All --

According to Karl Jaspers:

"Despite the wide variety of philosophical thought, despite all the
contradictions and mutually exclusive claims to truth, there is in all
philosophy a One, which no man possesses but about which all serious efforts
have at all times gravitated: the one eternal philosophy, the philosophia
perennis."

Like other philosophers, Bob Pirsig set out to prove that Aldous Huxley was
right that "the metaphysic that recognizes a divine Reality substantial to
the world of things and lives and minds; the psychology that finds in the
soul something similar to, or even identical with, divine Reality; the ethic
that places man's final end in the knowledge of the immanent and
transcendent Ground of all being; the thing is immemorial and
versal."    --Huxley: The Perennial Philosophy [1945].

The leading question in philosophy is not "What are things-in-themselves?"
or "What is the nature of the universe?".  Rather, it's "Why is the True
Reality hidden from us?  Clearly, what we know as "truth" is a principle or
axiom that applies consistently to empirical existence; yet, empirical truth
does not reveal ultimate truth, that is, if you agree with Pirsig that
Huxley was right.  The solution to this dilemma won't be found by making an
empirical truth, like cause-and-effect, the law of energy conservation, or
the experience of quality or morality the "true reality", because empirical
truth is relative, whereas ultimate truth is absolute.

After seven decades of pondering this dilemma, I'm convinced that there is
but one plausible answer:  We do not KNOW the Absolute Source as Truth
because our experience is excluded from it.  Existence and everything in it
is what Heidegger called "appearances" and Pirsigians call "patterns".  None
of these existents -- not even the observer who experiences them or the
value that actualizes them -- is fundamental or absolute.

Ultimate Reality is inaccessible to man because the individual is a finite
being, or as Cusa reasoned, "an other" in the presence of the "not-other".
The not-other postulated as Cusa's 'First Principle' is the absolute
'Essence' of Essentialism.  It is only by objectivizing the Value of Essence
as "relational beingness" that man becomes the free agent of Value, or as
Pirsig would say, "the cutting edge of reality".

If the brilliant author of Lila had the metaphysical insight to realize the
significance of Cusa's logic, would we have been spared the endless
debate over Static and Dynamic Quality and which is the "true reality"?

I happen to think so.

Essentially speaking,
Ham

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Fam. Kintziger-Karaca wrote:

> Greetings , group.Platt;
>
> As i saw , in one of your earlier postings , Platt, you're probably
> a Huxley reader.
> Something caught my attention, in the copleston annotations.
> this: Quote Pirsig
> "So It has really been a shock to see how close Bradley is
> to the MOQ.  Both he and the MOQ are expressing what
> Aldous Huxley called "The Perennial Philosophy," which is
> perennial, I believe, because it happens to be true. Bradley
> has given an excellent description of what the MOQ calls
> Dynamic Quality and an excellent rational justification for
> its intellectual acceptance.  It and the MOQ can be spliced
> together with no difficulty into a broader explanation of the
> same thing." ...

Adrie