[MD] Are There Bad Questions?: Rorty

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 11:15:12 PDT 2010

Steve said to Matt and dmb:

... Of course that answer was not supposed to be aceptable. "Necessary" has all kinds of Aristotelian meaning for Catholic apologists that I have no use for, so the issue comes down to some irreconncilable differences in choice of vocabulary.

dmb says:

Does it come down to differences in vocabulary? Why have you chosen the "vocabulary" vocabulary? I mean, what's the point of putting it like that? Why is it better than saying the issue comes down to differences in beliefs, worldviews or perspectives rather than vocabularies? I think you and Matt both adopt Rorty's slogans and his conclusions without any real understanding of how or why. That's how you both can gloss over the differences between Rorty and the classical pragmatists, a difference that every scholar of pragmatism recognizes.

C'mon guys. One says there is nothing outside language and the other says that the fundamental nature of reality is outside language. Do you do suppose that the fundamental nature of reality is more or less the same thing as nothing? That's what you'd have to believe to say that Rorty and Pirsig are on the same page. The areas where they agree are actually relatively unimportant because most postmodern thinkers agree with them. It can't serve as a way to equate them to each other so much as it just serves as a way to connect them both to the contemporary scene, you ham-handed hacks.