[MD] aurora borealis

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Sat May 29 00:22:56 PDT 2010

Hi Adrie

On 28 May you wrote:

> Been viewing some Norwegian nature on my pc , came across your
> language.

> see- "allemannsretten"(nor)  view the resemblance
>         "allemansrecht" (Dutch)
>         "utgangspunktet"(nor)
>         "uitgangspunt" (Dutch"

> the resemblance with German is even sharper.
> Think i can read Norwegian in two months when  i try

> Well anyway, i was looking for "aurora borealis", can you see
> northernlight were you live in Bodo, Bodvar? like to know.

Thanks for the intrest Adrie. The short bout in Flemish/Dutch that you
and Dan Glover gave showed the likeness, for instance I can add to
your list the  the word "regarding" which looked like "aangaaende" in
Flemish, in Norwegian "angående" (don't know if that letter  'å'  -
idigenous to Scandinavia -  shows?) And on maps I see something like
"afsluitningsdijik" in Holland ("avluttningsdike" in our tongue) Yes, Im
sure you would master Norwegian after a short time both speaking
and reading. I guess German is the root of all North-Western
European laguages - like it or not!! Anyway the Flemish/Dutch
speakers are particularly gifted in learning "Scandinavish" so it ought
to be vice versa. I can read German with a little effort and hefty use of
a dictionary ... and verbally order beer and sausages :-). The Aurora
Borealis ("Nordlys" in our tongue) is visible from time to time during
wintertime but it varies very much in intensity from a mere thin veil to
the violent fluttering curtains. One must of course remove oneself from
the town and its blanket of lights. Right now it's just before the
midnight sun season reaches the Bodô latitudes (from around June 9
to July 9). but its already almost light all round the clock.

Bodvar