[MD] Reading & Comprehension

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Sat May 29 03:16:03 PDT 2010

John, John, John,

I do not think art, or my painting, is intellectual.  No. No. No.

Every time the subject of art comes up I wonder is there
something I can say.  But, no, there is no-thing for me to say.
I moved to this island to paint as meditation.

On May 29, 2010, at 12:07 AM, John Carl wrote:

> Marsha, Marsha Marsha:
>

>>> Marsha to Arlo:
>>
>> My fundamental
>> point is that the fourth level consists of intellectual static patterns of
>> value as
>> reified concepts and the rules for their rational manipulation.
>> Intellectual
>> patterns create false boundaries, giving the illusion of independence, or
>> 'thingness'. The fourth level is a formalized subject/object (SOM) level
>> where the subjective is supposedly stripped from the experience.
>>

> What about Art?  What about Music?  What about dancing and dreaming and all
> the human things we do and think and feel that are not rational, are not
> intellectual at all, but make up the best part of who we are and who we want
> to be?

Maybe art is love and outside categorization.

> What about painting, Marsha?

I don't know about painting.  I love to paint, and paint to love.  (Remove the pronouns please.)

> What about a painting my daughter did, which still hangs in the door of my
> bedroom, and speaks to me of so much, so much important and wondrous things
> that have nothing to do with words or division or any of that intellectual
> defining that comes in and tries to capture the spirit of what is real in
> its wordy definitioning?
>
> What about that Marsha?

Sounds like Quality as Love.

> It's not your fault.  The fourth level should never have been labeled "the
> intellectual" as if that certain system of knowing, that smug objectivism
> that was thoroughly thrashed in ZAMM comes roaring back as the apex of all
> being, top dog of the hierarchical pile.

Hmmmm.  Once you see the intellectual level as patterns, it all changes, doesn't it?
I love intellectual patterns.  Do you think I would be struggling to participate in this list if
I didn't think the process was incredibly beautiful, and full of love?  Hierarchical from
an evolutionary perspective and as a movement towards freedom.  Works for me!
Works just fine...

To my mind the tragedy is being stuck thinking, often unconsciously, 'subject-and-objects'
is the way things are in reality.  Another reason I agree with Bo.  There is a point-of-view
higher than than the intellectual level (Q-level sounds alright.) where the conflict melts away.

> balderdash.  Bad labeling is all.  The 4th level is not "intellectual" its
> "aesthetic".

Aesthetics is a reified concept!!!  It is very much a product of a s/o reality transforming
experience into an objectified thing-in-itself.  Experiencing beauty, love and joy is
unbounded and the word is not the experience.

> And it's certainly NOT SOM.  What a travesty that would be.  Knock it off
> immediately.

Well, for me, the fourth level is SOM, but it is not ugly.  It is beautiful when seen rightly.

Where RMP translates the Taoist poem into 'kill intellectual patterns',  I think what he is saying
is that unpatterned experience requires dropping all thought especially those intellectual patterns
wanting to experience unpatterned experience.  Does that make sense?

> Lovingly all the same,
>
> John

Art seems impossible to talk about.  Whatever it is, for me it is not this, not that.   That is for
painting as much as fixing motorcycles, I would think, or preparing a cup of tea.   Yes?

Bye cherry pie.

Marsha

___