[MD] grmbl

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Sat May 29 07:16:57 PDT 2010

Adrie, Arlo, All!

29 May.

[Arlo]
> > Imprisoning intellect as SOM, yes, by claiming ALL intellect is SOM you
> > take an evolutionary hierarchy and declare its uppermost level
> > "cancerous". I think Pirsig's view that this actually undermines the MOQ
> > is spot on.

[Adie]
> where did i make a statement like this?, claiming all intellect is
> som?i never did , nor do i believe that all intellect is som.

Adrie, don't let yourself so easily be pushed around by Arlo. Start
thinking a little bit for yourself: First of all the MOQ rejects the
subject/object - AKA mind/matter - metaphysics, consequently the
intellectual level has NOT anything to do with SOM's mind, i.e. the
mental compartment where ideas are constructed and reside. This is
the great misconception that Arlo and his like harbor. They claim that
SOM is just one intellectual pattern and the MOQ another, oblivious of
Pirsig having made a great point of the container logic. the MOQ
cannot be contained by a subset of itself!!!.

The intellectual level is a static level and its primary purpose is to
control the social level, and here we see that it MUST be SOM and
SOM alone because it was SOM's objective scientific approach that
pulled the rug from under the social level's master-pattern - religion -
by making it mere subjective beliefs not based in objective facts. This
is merely one indication that Pirsig really intended intellect to be SOM,
but by Goodness I can't go through it all for every newcomer who
enters and is chastised by this "gang of four" that allegedly defends the
MOQ (I don't think they plot to destroy it) yet undermines it by making
it utterly tooth-less.

Bodvar

PS
The intellectual level's S/O distinction is the highest and best static
value, the "cancer" part is this level in its old SOM role, before the
MOQ context was revealed and the S/O distinction was regarded as
existences very fundament ... phew!. Thus Intellect = SOM  is a bit
misleading, the "M" is taken over by the MOQ and only the S/O
distinction remains ... double-phew ... but the said "gang" makes a big
number of this and misses no opportunity to force us into "...having to
resolve huge metaphysics disputes at the end of each sentence" while
they ride the established SOM presupposition.