[MD] Is this the inadequacy of the MOQ?

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 3 10:04:20 PDT 2010

Tim said:
...How is one to judge a totalitarian ideology?  It is an intellectual conception.  Whatever the intellect will inform society about will have a societal flavor, but a totalitarian ideology is an intellectual idea.  It is difficult for me to imagine some absolute truth answering: false! [AND]

Let me start with another example.  Murder.  If we can ask, intellectually, is murder moral or immoral?  Is Murder high quality or low quality?  Let us not look at the margins for the moment, but at the center, think of the the murder of a nice, well-behaved child... playing in the park one fine, summer afternoon.  The murderer might argue that he should be free "from" restriction in this regard; the universe values freedom, you should not put this barrier before me; the universe is more interesting if I can murder at my whim, and that is why I was able to do it; if reality wanted to prevent me, it would have done so; there are plenty of possibilities that life has denied me: I can't fly like a bird, or hold my breath like a while, etc. and etc.  This is a very intellectual argument; I don't think that there can be a doubt about that much.  ... Does freedom pick not-murder over murder?

dmb says:

Totalitarian ideology and murdering a "nice, well-behaved child" are intellectual? You can't be serious.

What in the world is going on around here? Am I just having a nightmare or is this really happening?