[MD] Intellectual Level

plattholden at gmail.com plattholden at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:18:39 PDT 2010

Hi Mark.

Good question, so hope you don't mind if I butt in with a possible answer.
You're familiar I'm sure with "information theory," and probably know a lot
more about than I do which is next to nothing. But at every level it seems for
anything to happen there must be communication between what we regards as
separate entities, whether particles, atoms, animals, or people. So surrounding
all levels is a cacophony of signals in countless languages. So information is
a sea in which the levels swim, to use a poor metaphor.

As you go up the levels from inorganic to intellectual, information becomes
increasingly usable by increasingly complex beings, humans being at the top of
the complexity pyramid. At the social and intellectual levels information is
turned by humans from raw dits and dots into symbols representing symbols in a
cascade of analogues which are exploited endlessly to gain power over the lower
levels as well as kindred human beings (think reason and rationalization).
Where the intellectual level comes to fore is when humans believe they are
intelligent enough to understand everything about everything (think science and
"critical thinking").

If you now ask what surrounds information we begin falling into the black hole
where no one willingly goes, at least no one who worships at the Church of
Reason and Pragmatism.

This is off the top-of-my-head-out-of-the-blue sort of thinking which is an
easy to shoot down. But, maybe there's a pony in there somewhere. What
say you?

Platt