[MD] Betternes - 4 levels of!

Horse horse at darkstar.uk.net
Sat Nov 6 06:50:40 PDT 2010

  Hi again Dan

On 02/11/2010 22:28, Dan Glover wrote:
> Two comments stand out... we both static quality and Dynamic Quality
> to survive, and blind obedience to either is futile. Rather than
> trying to define Dynamic Quality as what it is, we need to look at
> what it is not. Great points to keep in mind.

There was a great analogy to DQ that I picked up in a book I read over
the summer - unfortunately I can't remember the book or the author!
Might've been Dennett.
The analogy was one of a universal library where every possible
combination of every character (in English) existed separately in, what
would amount to, an infinite number of books. Countless copies of Lila
exist where there is maybe one character or word different to the copies
that most of us possess. Similarly with every other book in existence
already and an infinite number that have never existed. Most of theses
books will be garbage and make no sense whatsoever - they're just a
jumble of characters in no particular order. The only way we know if
they make any sense is if we read them. Which ones have value and which
don't? We don't know until we've read them.

As an analogy this made a lot of sense to me.

Horse

--

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
— Frank Zappa