[MD] Betternes - 4 levels of!

Platt Holden plattholden at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:12:16 PST 2010

Hi Mark

Not sure what you see as the problem. Quality is defined for rational
metaphysical
purposes as direct experience prior to concepts. Quality need not be
analyzed any further than that. We witness entities at all levels responding
"this better than that" without "thinking" of  any kind. My cat, UTOE, is a
prime
example. He exhibits moral choices all day long without having a single
symbol in
his furry head.

We can discuss Quality like we can discuss Beauty or Love until the
cows come home. I enjoy such discussions as much as anybody. But,
all the words in the world do not come close to the direct experience of
standing in front of Michangelo's "David" in Florence or being in head over
heels in love with another person.

Of course, you understand this without my saying it. I merely mention the
obvious to emphasize that while we enjoy our unique ability to engage in
thinking we should not forget that it's all just fingers pointing at the
moon.
When it comes to really understanding something, intuition comes to the
rescue. For as Wittgenstein concluded, "Whereof one cannot speak, therefore
one must be silent." Trouble is, we humans can no more stop thinking than
breathing. That's when Zen training comes to the rescue.Or just listening
to Wagner.

Best,
Platt.
.