[MD] Betternes - 4 levels of!

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 17:03:31 PST 2010

> Hi Dan,

This is not a hostile post, it is an example that may or may not be
illuminating.  If it is not that is fine, it is the best I can do right now.

By knowing what dynamic quality is not, we must know what it is, otherwise
we cannot know what it is not.  When Michelangelo was asked about how he
produces sculptures such as David, he explained that sculpture was the
technique of taking away.  That is taking away everything that was not
David.  Now, if dynamic quality were completely concept free, then
Michelangelo would have been left with a pile of rubble.

Even when you say not this, not that, you are pointing to a concept of what
is.  It is much easier to say what a thing is not, than what it is.
 However, to avoid painting dynamic quality into a corner with concepts, one
can use an analogy like Pirsig does.  This can start with the phrase "It is
like..."  The properties of the analogy are then presented.  This does not
restrict dynamic quality necessarily, because the next sentence can give it
properties that are exactly the opposite.  This may sound like nonsense, but
the intent is an agreement on something.  The use of concepts is to provide
awareness of, not to define or encapsulate.  Some concepts work, others
don't, depending on who you are as the recipient, and your understanding of
the analogy.  They are simply tools for shaping the marble in somebody's
imagination, not the thing itself.  As such, they are not demons.  What
shape it takes in somebody's mind is really up to them.  Discussion or,
dialectic helps in such mutual understanding, which is all I am after.  Does
this make any sense?

Thanks
Mark

[Dan]