[MD] Is this the inadequacy of the MOQ?

Alexander Jarnroth alexander.jarnroth at comhem.se
Fri Nov 12 01:05:04 PST 2010

Hello again Mark.

I would, myself, term language a social pattern, in the spirit of semiotics.
But of course, what language does, is often "expressing" intellectual
patterns, but then language is nothing but a vehicle for these patterns.
Sometimes you know what you wish to say, but you don't really know how to
express it to get it right. Perhaps you finish by saying "But you know what
I mean, don't you? And you know me, you know I would never say something
like THAT" (and then pointing to some particular interpretation).
But often, when you can't express a thought, in your own mind, you don't
really have a "grasp" of the thought. As I mentioned earlier, the word used
in Swedish and German is "begrepp"/"begriff" and the word being
"begripa"/"begriffen". This root grepp/griff is semantically and
etymologically the same as "grasp" and "grab". A "begriff" is a "term" or a
"concept". So you can't really get hold on a thought which you can't
express. But when you don't know how to express it, you can't really force
yourself to. It's first when suddenly your mind tells you - that you know.
And it could tell you anytime.

One interesting thing concerning consciousness, is: can it control anything
going on in the mind at all, or is just passive? I'm not at all sure about
this. Sometimes I think "Yes, like a governor in a cybernetic feedback
control system" - but sometimes not "No, it's just a passive beholder".

/A