[MD] Plains Talk and Pragmatism

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 14 10:18:55 PST 2010

Oh, I forgot to mention any interesting note about D'Arcy McNickle:
he was a friend of none other than J. Verne Dusenberry.  Dusenberry
read the book when it came out and wrote a couple letters to
McNickle about local reactions in the Montana area that McNickle had
centered his story.  There are two letters in particular that have
received scholarly attention, one that praises McNickle's capturing of
the local landscape and whatnot, and one that reports amusingly that
a local priest's reaction to the book was that McNickle had "gone
completely mad."  Given the function of the Church in the story,
Dusenberry adds that his reaction wasn't surprising.

Matt