[MD] Intellectual Level

Platt Holden plattholden at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 09:10:12 PST 2010

Hi Marsha,

I agree. SOM is the level of manipulation of imaginary symbols which are
taken by some to have the same reality as concrete material existence. How
much is missed by this belief is wonderfully exposed in the paragraph you
quoted. The "essence" of the MOQ and reality cannot be captured completely
by symbols, although artists come close. That's why Pirsig posited a Level
of Art above the Level of Intellect, and why the MOQ is written as a novel
instead of doctoral thesis. Unless one is sensitive to what cannot be put in
words, understanding suffers.

Thanks for you most complimentary post. Your frequent challenges to
in-the-box SOM thinking of
many here is always a breath of fresh air.

Best,
Platt