[MD] Intellectual Level

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Mon Nov 15 14:10:59 PST 2010

[Mark]
Could you give me an example of an abstract symbol that has no
corresponding particular experience?

[Arlo]
"Two". Or "two-ness" if you prefer.

[Mark]
Please do not quote Pirsig, provide me your own interpretation.

[Arlo]
You seem really hung-up on the term "interpretation". I am not quite
sure why that is. With others it appears to be way of achieving
legitimacy or authority in reluctance to forming disagreement.

[Mark]
I do not know where you are coming from, it doesn't seem coherent and
Adrie would say.

[Arlo]
All you know is that I said I agree with Pirsig. And from that you
conclude I lack coherence? Is that a criticism of Pirsig?

Like I keep saying to Marsha, if you feel Intellect=SOM is more
coherent than Pirsig's Intellect!=SOM, could you explain why? Does it
have more explanatory power? Does it provide a better analysis of evolution?

Pirsig's "goal" in the MOQ was to expand the nature of rationality,
not to condemn it. Intellect=SOM condemns rationality ipso facto. Do
you feel your Intellect=SOM points us towards a better solution than
Pirsig was after?