[MD] Intellectual Level

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue Nov 16 09:00:36 PST 2010

[Mark]
No I do not believe [the Intellectual level] is SOM, SOM comes out of
the intellect but does not represent it.

[Arlo]
I'd say SOM is a subset of intellectual patterns, ones that derive
from the very specific metaphysical premise that the primary division
of "reality" is subject/objects.

[Mark]
SOM is used for communication, but not for awareness.

[Arlo]
No. I'd say that "subjects" and "objects" as parts of grammatical
structures are used in many forms of communication, but "SOM" is,
again, a very specific metaphysical premise.

I think you are confusing the "subjects" and "objects" of language
with "SOM", as if the use of a grammatical "subject" necessitates one
holding that "subjects/objects" are the primary division of reality.
This is (I would hope) obviously untrue. Grammatical structures also
include, for example, tense, action (verbs), descriptors,
flow-markers (punctuation), etc.

[Mark]
Intellect is also involved in awareness.  That is, what happens
before thoughts are constructed.

[Arlo]
I'm not sure, but you appear to be conflating two things here. To get
to your second point "[awareness] is what happens before thoughts are
constructed", I think Pirsig's comment in ZMM supports this.

"All the time we are aware of millions of things around us...these
changing shapes, these burning hills, the sound of the engine, the
feel of the throttle, each rock and weed and fence post and piece of
debris beside the road...aware of these things but not really
conscious of them unless there is something unusual or unless they
reflect something we are predisposed to see. We could not possibly be
conscious of these things and remember all of them because our mind
would be so full of useless details we would be unable to think. From
all this awareness we must select, and what we select and call
consciousness is never the same as the awareness because the process
of selection mutates it. We take a handful of sand from the endless
landscape of awareness around us and call that handful of sand the
world." (ZMM)

Here Pirisig uses the term "awareness" to precede the discriminatory
process that results in "consciousness", something he calls later the
"endless landscape of awareness around us". I know you hate quotes,
but here is another from ZMM supporting this. "He simply meant that
at the cutting edge of time, before an object can be distinguished,
there must be a kind of nonintellectual awareness, which he called
awareness of Quality." (ZMM)

And this leads into the first part of your comment (which I think you
incorrectly conflated into the latter). Here, intellect is not
"involved in awareness" as much as it derives FROM awareness.