[MD] Language as trance

Platt Holden plattholden at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 08:18:20 PST 2010

Marsha,

Thank you. I'm astounded by the coincidence that recent posts from you, Mark
and John under different subject headings all focus on thought's limits and
the Buddhist belief that, as Pirsig wrote, "Thought is not a path to
reality."

Unlike many other thinkers, Pirsig acknowledges thought's shortcomings at
the outset of Lila. "Quality is essentially outside definition, this means
that a "Metaphysics of Quality" is essentially a contradiction in terms, a
logical absurdity." But, he goes on to conclude, "Getting drunk and picking
up bar-ladies and writing metaphysics is a part of life." Further, in a
letter to Ant, he rationalized the value of the MOQ by saying, "Finally,
though it may be argued that a metaphysics that incorporates a central term
that isn't defined (i.e. Dynamic Quality) isn't a real metaphysics, it can
also be argued that the strength of the MOQ is its ability to incorporate
the indeterminate divine within a coherent and logical paradigm."

Here we see admitted that thinking about reality boils down to "argument."
On the one hand, we have the Buddhist understanding  that reality cannot be
divided. On the other hand, we have the MOQ understanding based on the axiom
that some things are better than others, implying a divided reality. The
irony is that the Buddhist understanding of reality cannot be argued. All
the Buddhist can say is, "See for yourself."

Which is why you, I and others find reality in art whose value strikes the
senses directly, prior to argument, and why those who have sold their souls
to thought are inclined to dismiss us as "airheads." We threaten their
deepest beliefs by winking at their arguments and having fun, like Mark's
brilliant spoof, the "Cheese Theory."

Thanks for the quote from Alan B. Wallace.

Platt