[MD] Language as trance

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 10:01:41 PST 2010

Hi Platt,

[Platt previously]

> As I've said, so long as the meaning of the word "morality" is confined to
> ideas of interpersonal relations -- to how we treat one another -- the MOQ
> cannot gain the wide acceptance it seeks. The term "morals" seems
> to erect a wall the MOQ is almost helpless to overcome except for we lucky
> few who challenge not only "Conventional Reality" but also
> conventional thought.
>
> Perhaps instead of "Inquiry into Morality," the book in which the
> MOQ is laid out might have better been subtitled, "An Inquiry Into Why
> the Universe Got Better After the Big Bang."

[Mark]
I would agree that morality is a tricky one and fraught with baggage.  Often
it is used in coercive ways, to get people to do what one wants them to do.
 My interpretation of the subtitle was simply to open up the discussion.  It
is an inquiry after all.  Quality can be used as a path to put human
morality into perspective or into context.  Human morality can be seen as
part of a larger expression or progression.  The rate of such progression
could be considered in a larger time frame than what we should do tomorrow.
 Quality provides a perspective by which to harness morality and not dictate
it.  Once understood, it affects the moment.

The notion of the Big Bang as something which is unfolding is also
appropriate.  In my interpretation, we are the Big Bang.  As such we are
participating; the stuff that stars are made of.  This would bring in the
concept of As Above, So Below.  This also helps bring the Big Bang from an
objective event into a subjective relationship.  This would be to travel
along the paths of Zen as I understand it.

As Marsha has been experiencing, bridging MOQ to other more elaborate forms
of philosophy such as Buddhism is difficult.  My suggestion is, that as a
creation of the human mind, they all contain certain perennial similarities.
 As such, understanding of MOQ can be helped in many ways.  Each of us comes
to the table with plenty of hooks that can be attached to it. As the hot air
balloon fills we can each feel the levity which it provides.  In my opinion,
it is freedom or release from old worn out ballast that MOQ presents.
 However, it must always be tethered in some way, or we tend to drift in a
solitary way.  This is no fun in the end and it is nice to come back to
earth now and again.

Regards,
Mark