[MD] a-theism and atheism

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 14:23:14 PST 2010

Hi John,
More below

[John previously]:
>  The questions arising, at least from me, is what kind of society doesn't
> have intellectual guidance?  All human society's are formed by ideas. Even
> the most primitive tribe and culture, weave a meaning for their lives out
> of
> a mythic and religious context that is partly intellectual and partly
> aesthetic.  But if you want to argue about the pre-socratice greeks or
> primitive american tribes as being 100% non-intellectual, I'll save that
> for
> another day and add, even so, the vast preponderance of social groups
> extant
> today are guided by various intellectual ideas.
>
> At the same time, intellectual dominance is largely decided by social
> patterns - gathering agreement and persuading others to "join our side".
>  There's probably no more intellectual world in the world, than a faculty
> meeting, but also no place more devoted to social-type politics and gaming.
>
> [Mark]

I believe the idea with many is that we are more intelligent now than we
used to be.  I do not think there is any evidence of this, especially
morphologically since the brain has not changed.  The danger that arrises
from such a notion of betterness, is the need to control things the way we
see them now.  This form of control is very dogmatic and religious (in a
negative sense), and implies the presence of leaders who Know.  I believe
this kind of thinking flies straight in the face of Quality as one of
progression.  Any philosophy will have its diehards who want to impose their
thinking on others, but that is not where the growth of a philosophy occurs.
 It takes place in those that are more open to ideas.  MOQ should not hit a
dead end because of a few individuals.

Cheers,
Mark