[MD] a-theism and atheism

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 10:44:09 PST 2010

You said a mouthful right there dave!

dmb says:

Mark isn't the only poster who seems to be confused about the difference
> between social level authority and intellectual authority.

For instance, you yourself have many times offered as an argument, "Because
Pirsig says I'm his favorite" and you seem to think that sort of social
conferring of authority carries intellectual weight.

 dmb:

> And yet we have a whole crew that seem to actively disrespect and despise
> any kind of intellectual authority or expertise. Did you count the number of
> times that Steven Hawking was dumped on?

You seem to think that challenging the 'great man's authority is a sign of
disrespect.  I've posted a perfectly legitimate intellectual challenge to
the validity of "a brief history of time" and it's underlying metaphysical
assumptions and have I received a single answer or refutation of my
arguments?  Nope.  All we get is, "well, he's more famous and brilliant than
you, so shut up."  Is that what you consider an intellectual argument dave?
Or a social one?  From my perspective, it's a social refutation to say
"Hawking is more intellectual than John, so therefore he's right and John is
wrong."  An intellectual refutation would deal with the actual underlying
assumptions and issues, and not our respective places in society - which
admittedly, are inarguable.

  dmb:

> I think anti-intellectualism is a very common attitude generally, but in a
> philosophy discussion group? In this context, it strikes me as bizarre. And
> when you don't buy what they're selling, it has to be a matter of
> authoritarian oppression. The MAN is keepin' 'em down, they think. It can't
> about about their quality of their own thought and speech because it's
> always that other guy's fault.

John:

What you term anti-intellectualism, I see as anti-authoritarianism.  You
think we oughta make the intellectuals our high priests, because their
"intellectual" whereas I think they ought to be subject to intellectual
inquiry, same as anybody.

dmb:

Oh, the drama.

dang, I wish I had that book I was reading yesterday, it had a great quote
regarding a debate between Royce and James on the innate dramatic bent of
metaphysics.  Most apropos.

Maybe later,

John