[MD] Is this the inadequacy of the MOQ?

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 11:57:09 PST 2010

Andre,

John to Tim and Andre:

"Judging and choosing" are actions, "analogies" are words and wordifying.
 So do you not say here that the word comes first?

> Andre:
> No John, when you let the word decide you simply follow static patterns and
> your life will be just as exciting as Lila's cruise on the Jungle Queen
> where 'the experience of your life' is pre-arranged for you and stuffed with
> cliches, pretense, play-acting, make-believe and imitation.

 As opposed to... what?

How about a guy who spends his life, building his own boat with the idea of
sailing around the world?  He lovingly makes all his own sails, he crafts
his own rope.  Every single imaginable process he performs with his own
hands so that his experience is completely unique.  Why does he do this?

Because his head is stuffed with cliches about self-reliance.  He's
play-acting at being original.    Because he's imitating an ideal that is
his fantasy of originality.

Contrariwise,  take the dalai lama and put him on the Jungle Queen at sunset
and imagine his delight over mai-tais and an after dinner show and the fresh
sparkling light in the eyes of the dancers and partiers on board.  Every
moment is precious.

Cliches are in the eyes of the beholder.  I can't tell you how many people
I've met in my life, who are starry-eyed at the idea of living in a log
cabin in the woods and having their own personal Walden-type experience.
Probably, somebody could come up with a group discount and make it
affordable.    Or adolescents who want to be seen as unique and rebellious,
so they dress up and pierce their body parts in the exact same fashion as
all the other unique rebels of their age.

The captain put Lila's fantasies down, why?  Because they didn't conform to
his own.  He had a much more sophisticated fantasy I guess.  Interesting
word, "sophist"icated,  but metaphysically, I don't see much difference.  A
boat is a boat.   The narrative which sees Quality in a boat, is formed in
words which dictate future action.  Nobody just dynamically falls into a
boat that happens to be floating by.  Action and intention stem from
conceptualization.

The words come first.

> Andre:
>   You seem to be a pretty social, religious type person.( and this is not
> meant in a derogatory way!)

Religion supplies us with the mythic roots of terminology.  I've got a
religious background, so I use religious metaphor in my understanding of
DQ.  The MoQ was extremely helpful to me in distinctifying between the
terms, and what they point to.  So in that regard, I guess I am.

Socially, I've always been an outsider, a loner, who stands outside of the
well-defined social group and analyzed it, intellectualized it, tried to
figure it out and stayed aloof from it, while hanging around.  You can't be
an outsider if you don't have something definite to be "outside of".

So in that regard, I guess I am.

Thanks for being non-derogatory, Andre.  Us outsiders really appreciate
that.

John