[MD] What kind of ethical theory is the MOQ?

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 12:56:41 PST 2010

Hi dmb,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM, david buchanan <dmbuchanan at hotmail.com>wrote:

> dmb says:
>
> Exactly.
>
> It's interesting to watch Marsha play her standard trick on somebody else.
> It's frustrating when you're right there in the thick of it but from a
> distance it's almost amusing. She uses the doctrine of no-self to protect
> her ego, to evade debate when her never-changing views are challenged.

[Mark]
Here you go again...Yes, you present a good argument above (what?).

> Bringing this point back to the actual topic, I want to say just one thing.
>  Because the MOQ expands the notion of morality all the way down and it
> rejects the Cartesian subject, we'd certainly want to dramatically
> re-conceptualize our notions of moral agency but that would be an expansion
> of the notions, not an evacuation of them.

[Mark]
Morality is expressed through our conceptualization.  I am not sure what you
referring to by re-conceptualizing them.  Are you stating that the current
concepts are immoral?  If so, at what point did they become immoral or
wrong?  Are you drawing a strict line between our conceptualization and
dynamic quality?  If so, how does this happen?  Since MOQ expands the notion
all the way down, what are you referring to as the "up".  Isn't it quite
possible that it expands it all the way up too?  If not, does this imply
that we are some divine creature separated from Quality?  What evidence do
you have that morality is only beneath us, and not within and above us?

You are going to have to think about this before you respond.  I think you
may come up with a new idea of MOQ by answering these questions.  It is my
impression that MOQ is some kind of distant phenomenon for you rather than a
personal attitude.  If you need some gumption on this, reread ZMM, it has
plenty of that.

Regards,
Mark