[MD] a-theism and atheism

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:35:06 PST 2010

dmb said to John:
 I don't think you can you cite any examples of this debate squelching or blind worship.

John replied:
... I've attempted to elicit debate with you over and over and you've almost always squelched it with "no thanks" or "this isn't fun" or various other evasions of my particular passion - the interaction and cross-influences of Royce and James.

dmb says:

Yep, that's about what I expected. You have not produced a single example of anything.

You've only made reference to the fact that I don't want to waste time talking about a dead philosophy with a guy who doesn't understand his own central terms. What sane person would want to do that? You've treated me like shit a thousand times and then cry foul when I don't want to be your pen pal? That's pretty damn autistic. Little advice for you, pal. Don't go into politics. And don't expect to have any friends either. I think you're confusing intellectual inflexibility with the simple fact that no reasonable person is going to be swayed by weak reasoning or bad arguments. Big difference. I can see why you wouldn't like this kind of rejection. Who would? But that is not a form of debate squelching. It's just the exercise of judgment with respect to intellectual quality.

You're just nursing a sore ego because I'm not interested in talking to you about your favorite topic. Intellectual freedom is not about what pleases John. The debate squelching charge makes no sense at all. simply because I have no power to stop you from debating anything. But I think I have the right to choose my own conversation partners and I'm allowed to disagree with you or even ignore you. My choices have nothing to do with your intellectual freedom. I'm only exercising my intellectual freedom. If that's not fair enough for you, too bad.