[MD] Is this the inadequacy of the MOQ?

Andre Broersen andrebroersen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 04:19:20 PST 2010

Tim to Andre:
...I cannot think of DQ as meaningful and communicable at teh moment;
perhaps it could be either or, but not both at the same time. More talk
seems to make things worse, not better.

Andre:
Well, it seems that you agree with Pirsig in this sense when he says
that 'Life can't exist on Dynamic Quality alone. It has no staying
power. To cling to Dynamic Quality alone, apart from any static patterns
is to cling to chaos.He saw that much can be learned about Dynamic
Quality by studying what it is not rather than futilely trying to define
what it is'. And therefore he 'turned his attention away from any
further explanation of Dynamic Quality and turned toward the static
patterns themselves'. (LILA, pp124-5). And this resulted in the MOQ.

Tim:
I keep going back to RMP's admission that (page 399 of 409,
Lila),"Strictly speaking, the creation of any metaphysics is an immoral
act since it's a lower form of evolution, intellect, trying to devour a
higher mystic one."

Andre:
Agree. 'It is important to keep all 'concepts' out of Dynamic Quality.
Concepts are always static. Once they get into Dynamic Quality they'll
overrun it and try to present it as some kind of concept itself'.
(Anthony's PhD, p35)

Tim:
I think I recall a paragraph in ZAMM about this too: that the solution
would be a really simple, subtle change: individuals behaving better,
collectively. In this sense, I think the metaphysics part is just a
detour in the abyss, trying to pick up lost souls - like every other
well-intentioned religion.

Andre:
Perhaps you mean this one:'The place to improve the world is first in
one's own heart and head and hands, and then work outward from there'.
(ZMM, p291) And if you mean by 'individuals behaving better' that they
'care' for what they are doing, that the 'real cycle you're working on
is a cycle called yourself' and that we realize that 'the machine that
appears to be 'out there' and the person that appears to be 'in here'
are not two separate things, yeah well, I wouldn't really call them
'simple'. And, it is not so subtle either. But this living realization
will determine whether they grow toward Quality or fall away from
Quality altogether.(ZMM,p319) No doubt you remember 'the Giant' Pirsig
talks about, this nameless, faceless system. This 'superorganism'...'who
is a pattern of values superimposed on top of biological human
bodies'... reaching out its tentacles and ready to devour us and digest
us.(LILA,pp222-3). The only other reference to do with 'tentacles' as
far as I remember is used in ZMM, when Chris has found some 'funny
plants'. Phaedrus explains that their 'tentacles can paralyze small
fish'.(ZMM, p361)Tentacles tend to have that effect, they paralyze,
devour. They have an alientating effect.

So, no, I do not think that the 'solution would be a really simple and
subtle change'.

I do not agree that the MOQ is a 'detour in the abyss' nor that it is
'trying to pick up lost souls'. It is a metaphysics, not a religion.
Nobody is trying to force Pirsig's MOQ down anybody's throat as the
ideas of God and the Devil are forced down little children's throats. To
down-grade Pirsig's MOQ to religious status is an immoral act. It is a
social pattern of value trying to devour an intellectual pattern of
value. 'In the MOQ, then, reality (as a whole) is denoted by the term
'Quality' which Pirsig divides into Dynamic Quality and static quality.
'Quality' (with a capital 'Q') is used to denote reality (by which
Pirsig regards as the totality of what exists) in addition to its
traditional context as a term for excellence...while Dynamic Quality
denotes the unconceptualised part of reality'( Anthony's PhD, pp 34-5)

There is no 'belief' in the same sense of a belief in a God required
here. It is very pragmatic and empirically verifiable and adheres to the
Buddha's statement when he told his followers not to believe in his
teachings because he said his teachings were true. He simply told them
to see for themselves. Do not take my word for it.

Tim:

IF the metaphysics is trapping people rather than pulling them out of the trap...  This is why it might be, strictly speaking, immoral.

Andre:
How is 'the metaphysics' 'trapping people'?

Tim:
I think this is an important clarification you make: "You do the judging and the 'choosing'...".

Andre:
Yes, and sometimes 'it' does it which depends (imho) upon one's 'sensitivity' Quality. To explain, I went to an island in Lugu lake (China) and there was built a beautiful old Buddhist temple. When asked how the spot was chosen to build the monk simply said; 'It chose it for us'. It is in this sense that I mean it. To what extent is one in tune with one's dharma in relation to rta.

Tim:
this action proved pretty settling for me,

Andre:
Thank you.