[MD] Rorty and Mysticism

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Sat Nov 27 20:36:46 PST 2010

On Nov 27, 2010, at 3:40 PM, david buchanan wrote:

> Marsha axed:
> When was you last meeting with RMP?  What year?
>

> dmb says:
> This year (2010). Why do you ask?
>
> If you're trying to suggest that the kind words from Pirsig were written in a private correspondence or that it's just hearsay, it just isn't true and I'd never do that.

Marsha:
I'm making no such suggestion.

> dmb:
> We exchange e-mail when I have questions but none of that gets quoted here. (His answers tend to keep me from wasting time on dead ends and wild goose chases, which is extremely helpful.)

Marsha:
I'm sure this must be very helpful.

> dmb:
> The quotes come from published material, namely the footage from Liverpool in Ant's documentary and the website of Pirsig's publishers in England. I figure that's fair game because it's already out there. Until a few days ago, my wife is the only one who knew about the Oxford quote.

Marsha:
I remember you mentioning it.

> dmb:
> Seems like it wouldn't mean much anywhere else but here and I've been taking beating from hostile people like yourself ever since he said it over a year ago, so I snapped. And there it is. You've turned me into a terrible braggart. Thanks a lot.

Marsha:
You're whining again.  You accuse me of turning you into a braggart?  I think not.  Those are the patterns of your communication.  For one who brags about their intellectual competency,  I think your understanding of the MoQ is shallow.   I accept you as someone who cares about the MoQ, but I do not accept you as a MoQ authority.

> dmb:
> I guess there is literally nothing in the world that can be said by anyone to persuade you about this.

Marsha:
No.  I think you're mostly style, with little substance.

> dmb:
> So why ask any questions. You're not curious or perplexed or interested in anything I have to say. You're just looking for more trouble. I can smell it. Just leave me alone, will you?  I don't want to play those little games.

Marsha:
You shot a comment to me in the '[MD] Ah-ha Qua Ah-ha' thread and then refused to explain it.  I think it is you who are playing games.

___