[MD] Trust in Philosophy

Ian Glendinning ian.glendinning at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 14:45:26 PST 2010

Matt, John,

Trust can be built - extended / tested - by electronic communication
sure, but it needs some basis of trust outside the channel too. (I
often point out that the top layer of the W3C Semantic Web
architecture is "Trust" .... but that's just a record of trust
established - recognizable authority of the source of a packet, etc
....)

But to build real trust, I think you need to see into someone's eyes
(soul) every now and again. But I agree with your essential point more
communication is good, of any kind .... but the problem can be the
"illusion of communication".

Misunderstanding motives is the biggest risk ... as a minimum people
accuse each other of not really trying to debate / agree, or worse.
(And human psychology is ALL about interpreting the motives of
others.)

Anyway, me not trust you John ?
That's a bit strong surely - I was wary of one of your motives in one
exchange - but I don't feel like I don't trust you.

Ian