[MD] Is this the inadequacy of the MOQ?

rapsncows at fastmail.fm rapsncows at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 30 20:08:25 PST 2010

Marsha,
a question first,
Tim

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 01:45:50 -0500, "MarshaV" <valkyr at att.net> said:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Do you have a problem with describing the self, the 'I', as an
> ever-changing, interrelated, impermanent collection of flowing
> inorganic, biological, social and intellectual static patterns of value?
> As opposed to an independent existing, controlling center that runs
> the show?
>

> Marsha

[Tim]
I want to ask about the word 'collection'.  I started typing up a long
reply before I realized that I was giving short shrift to your use of
that word; and I know you to be precise about words, especially in a
situation like this.  I think if you would have said 'flowing collection
of...' I would have seen a sufficient emphasis on 'collection', but as
it is I wonder if it is more just a linguistically necessary term.  For
me, the amazing thing about the 'I' is taht it survives the utter
present of DQ.  THe collection is not casual; there is some
not-so-changing consistency through it all.

there is still a little nit that I picked before, regarding 'flowing':
that this might be too restrictive a term; But I think this is off topic
now.

also, while I'm at it, I wonder why you have both 'ever-changing' and
'impermanent', specifically, why do you insist on the latter?

Anyway, to hint at my answer, even if I don't end up 'having a problem'
with your description, I think I will prefer one that mentions 'choice'
and 'will', as I see these as the two most vital prerogatives of the
'I'.  Further, it is not the static patterns that choose and will, nor
is it so much the 'collection'... where do choice and will come from in
your description?

And about what you opposed your description with (in connection with
your description): mu.

Tim

  rapsncows at fastmail.fm