[MD] The other side of reified

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 2 10:20:58 PDT 2011

Marsha said to dmb:
You obviously have no idea of my understanding of reification.  -  The quotes I present match my view perfectly.

Here is the quote that presents Marsha's view "perfectly":
"One of the chief causes of bondage is, not so much the faculty of conceptualization, but rather the propensity to grasp onto the products of that faculty. The rational nature, like the dispositions Nagarjuna discussed in section seven of the karika, has a value. Concepts are an important and necessary tool to be used in ordering one’s world and acting within it."

dmb says:
Your pants must be on fire because Wallace's statement is pretty much the opposite of what you say. To cite a recent example, you said, "I might have defended Bo because of his loyalty to the MD, but that was not the reason I came to believe Bo is correct. I was backed into a corner, he backed me into a corner, and I was struck wordless. I realized that conceptualization reifies. I didn't know the word then, but I clearly understood the process. Only later did I stumble across the word 'reify' and after reading it a number of times I recognized it as the process from which I couldn´t escape..."

See, Wallace describes the problem as the propensity to grasp the products of conceptualization and NOT the faculty of conceptualization itself. Wallace says concepts are necessary for acting in the world. You say, simply, conceptualization reifies, period. And you say you cannot escape this process. This goes along with your assertion that language is some kind of prison, with the assertion that intellectual patterns are to be killed rather than cured, with the assertion that the intellectual level is forever doomed to conform to SOM. It all adds up to a profoundly anti-intellectual view and it's a gross distortion of what Wallace, James and Pirsig are all saying about this problem. These guys are not philosophical enemies with each other and it makes no sense to pit them against each other.

I don't even think you're being honest in the normal sense, let alone intellectually honest. It's just plain foolish to lie about what you did and did not say because your posts are in the archives and anyone can see that you're not telling the truth. Jeez, don't you have any shame?