[MD] The other side of reified

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Fri Jun 3 04:11:50 PDT 2011

On Jun 2, 2011, at 3:24 PM, david buchanan wrote:

> dmb says:
> I just dished up your thoughts on reification and explained the objections. You "understanding in its entirety" is incoherent. It is a series of contradictions, of mutually exclusive claims.
>
> You can't say that reification is "interdependent with the conceptualization process" or simply "conceptualization reifies" AND also say that concepts are necessary to act in the world.

Marsha:
I didn't use the word IS, that is your misrepresenting my statement.  I "suggested" that reification was either a part of the conceptualization process, or that there was a interdependency between conceptualization and reification.

> dmb:
> You can't say reification is inescapable AND also say it is a tendency that may occur.

Marsha:
It was Wallace that used the word 'tendency,' but to quote him properly he stated 'natural tendency.'   Look up the word 'natural.'    And I did not use the word 'inescapable.'   I did use the word 'escape' when I was describing to John a personal experience.

> dmb:
> Those are contradictory claims.

Marsha:
So far, it is your exaggeration and misrepresentation that comprise any contradiction.

> dmb:
> Reification is a conceptual error, one we want to correct because of the vital importance and value of concepts or concepts themselves are inescapably doomed to reify experience and we ought to kill the intellect because its a prison.

Marsha:
This is one wild sentence that doesn't make sense to me.  ---   I can assure you that I never stated that 'one should kill the intellect because it is a prison.'  I defy you to find where I made such a statement.  Again, you have combined two statements out-ofo-context to misrepresent what I've said.

> dmb:
> These are wildly opposed claims and you want to say them both at the same time. That's what I mean by calling saying your view is incoherent. For the millionth time.

Marsha:
And this statement is why I don't care much about your opinion on yourself or your opinion of James.  I find you intellectual integrity very low-grade.

___