[MD] The other side of reified

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Mon Jun 6 01:58:43 PDT 2011

On Jun 5, 2011, at 11:25 PM, Mary wrote:

> [dmb]
> You can't say that reification is "interdependent with the conceptualization
> process" or simply "conceptualization reifies" AND also say that concepts
> are necessary to act in the world.
>
> [Mary]
> Why not?
>
> The human brain is nothing more than the product of the evolution of
> Pirsig's static patterns of value.  Static patterns of value interact with
> one another in static ways.  It would be a leap to expect the static brain
> to function in a non-static way, would it not?  Conceptualization is no
> doubt a high quality STATIC pattern of value.  It is a useful and necessary
> tool for interacting with other static patterns.  It does not follow that it
> would be necessary for it to develop transcendence.  If it were even a
> "tendency" of the human mind to flexibly transcend the static, then DQ would
> not be undefined.  Capisce?

HI Mary,

Here is my (conventional/static) definition of static patterns of value:

	Static patterns of value are processes: impermanent,
	interdependent, ever-changing. (Not objects. Not subjects.
	Not things-in-themselves.)  Overlapping, interconnected,
	ever-changing processes that pragmatically tend to persist
	and change within a stable, predictable pattern.

Here's my (conventional/static) definition of reification:

	Reification means treating any functioning phenomenon
	as if it were a real, permanent 'thing', rather than an
	impermanent process."

Reification represents how the common man, and many scientists,
academics and even philosophers conceptualize.  It evolved as a tool to
facilitate some kind of betterness.  But it is flawed and of course the MoQ
and help rectify the flaw.  I have suggested that reification is either a part
of the conceptualization process, or that there is a interdependency
between conceptualization and reification.

But, of course, you are correct Mary.  Both 'conceptualization' and
'reification' are static patterns of value, conventional (relative) truths.

Marsha

___