[MD] The other side of Value

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 7 21:13:27 PDT 2011

Hi Joe --

I had asked for an explanation of what you meant by the statement
"In a DQ/SQ metaphysics there is something indefinable.

You replied:
> ... I find the "indefinable" full of meaning, since it forces me to
> ask: How do I know?  If I reply "I just know", and someone
> else says "I just know something different there is no way to
> resolve the conflict.  In a DQ/SQ environment we can say
> "You are not looking at a metaphysical order" and the reply to
> that is that I am a dummox or full of it, or it's indefinable but
> I still know it since I am created knowing the indefinable,
> like emotions.
>
> As far as revealing the indefinable do you understand a DQ/SQ
> formulation of metaphysics as a more complete explanation of
> emotions?  Or are emotions a girlish manifestation?

I don't understand DQ/SQ as an explanation of "emotions" at all.  Emotions
are psycho-somatic reactions to experienced events, such as joy, fear,
anguish, sadness, hatred, and compassion.  As with most novelists, Pirsig
does not explicity refer to emotional responses in his narratives, but
leaves them to the reader's imagination.  Nor does the MoQ define them as a
level or patterns of Quality.

Emotions are not gender-specific, as far as I know, so your reference to
"girlish" escapes me.  But if you are hung up on emotions, or are looking
for a definitive description of human emotional response, I would suggest
psychology as a better source of information than philosophy.

Certainly emotional feelings are a component of value sensibility as they
are in all experience.  Since Value is the affinity of the negated self for
its estranged Source, the emotions involved are typically love, awe, or
desire.  They express the state of the psyche on contemplating beauty,
goodness or virtue which experientially represent our need for spiritual
(i.e., essential) fulfillment and inspire us to seek their ultimate Source.

I hope I've answered your question, Joe.

Cheers,
Ham