[MD] Free Will

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 06:10:37 PDT 2011

Hi Craig,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM,  <craigerb at comcast.net> wrote:
> [Harris]
>> the concept of free will is a non-  > starter, both philosophically and
> scientifically.> thoughts, moods, and desires of every sort >  >simply spring into view—and move us,
> or fail to > move us, for reasons that are, from a subjective > point of view,
> perfectly inscrutable.

Craig:
> Suppose I find a wallet with ID.  I might keep it.  That in the past I returned it to its owner, does
> not show I have free will, for those were different
> circumstances. But as I deliberate, I feel guilty & decide to return the wallet.  Then I rationalize: the owner was careless, why should I do them any
> favors?
> These thoughts are not inscrutable.

Steve:
The thoughts are not inscrutible. You aren't reading carefully. What
Harris says is inscrutible from a subjective point of view are the
REASONS we have such thoughts to begin with. Why do we have these
thoughts, moods, desires, intentions, etc. and not others?

Craig:
> More importantly, there is no reason to suppose
> that my decision is fore-ordained before I
> go thru the actual deliberation.

Steve:
I wouldn't use the term fore-ordained. There is no one who knows the future.

Best,
Steve