[MD] Free Will

craigerb at comcast.net craigerb at comcast.net
Thu Jun 9 16:11:43 PDT 2011

[Craig, previously]
> Suppose I find a wallet with ID.  I might keep it. > But as I deliberate, I feel guilty & > decide to return the wallet.  Then I rationalize:  > the owner was careless, why should I do them any favors?

[Steve] >You aren't reading carefully. > What
Harris says is inscrutible from a subjective point  > of view are the
REASONS we have such  > thoughts to begin with.
Oh but I am reading carefully. My reasons are scrutable. The reason I feel guilty from keeping the wallet, comes from my experience in losing something & not having it returned.  The reason I'm tempted to keep the wallet, is my greed & my desire for "something-for-nothing".  True I can't identify each experience that leads to my guilt/greed, except in the uninformative "All of them".  But I know enough.   Harris is at a tremendous disadvantage in this debate.  He must argue that of all the billions of people who have ever lived on earth, none of them at any time in their life, exercised free will.  I only have to argue that there was one case. Craig