[MD] cloud of probability

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 21:37:04 PDT 2011

Hello everyone

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM, MarshaV <valkyr at att.net> wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2011, at 3:00 PM, Ham Priday wrote:
>

>>> dmb says:
>>> Like the man says, and like every reasonable person knows,
>>> metaphysics must be definable, divisible and knowable or
>>> there isn't any metaphysics.
>>>

>>> Marsha offered the RMP quote:
>>> "Since a metaphysics is essentially a kind of dialectical definition
>>> and since Quality is essentially outside definition, this means that
>>> a 'Metaphysics of Quality' is essentially a contradiction in terms,
>>> a logical absurdity."  (LILA, Chapter 5)
>>

>> Why, then, did the man choose to call his Quality thesis a "metaphysics"?
>> Did he want his acolytes to spend their time trying to resolve a contradiction?
>>
>> Just curious,
>> Ham
>

> HI Ham,
>
> Since the quote was something I offered, I'll attempt an answer.  I suggest
> that he was using the MoQ as a map, menu, pointing finger.  But of course,
> only RMP may know the answer to your question.
>
> Why did you write yours?

Dan:

The quote is being taken out of context by Marsha to make some point.
It is an answer to the mystic objection that the world is beyond
definition, as Phaedrus stated in his first book, ZMM. What point
Marsha is trying to make, I have no idea. And I am not going to ask as
I know she won't give me an answer anyway.

He wrote about the MOQ because it is interesting! Yes, he understood
that he was violating his own thesis, but he decided to go ahead and
do it anyway. It is all right there in LILA. Chapter 5. It isn't that
long. I'd suggest reading it, Ham. But I've made that suggestion
before, haven't I?

Thanks,

Dan