[MD] Free Will

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 12 10:24:52 PDT 2011

Dear Marsha--

> Greetings Ham,
>
> My difficulty accepting your "autonomy" is that in the state
> of awareness there is no 'I' or objects.  The self and other
> are patterns that are applied later.

Which is why I ignored your protracted discussion on "reification".  How can
the self be patterned after its own awareness?  And what is the point of
promoting existence as a 'smoke and mirrors' illusion?  It undermines the
individual, the meaning of life, and the philosopher's efforts to posit a
rational theory of ultimate reality.

Marsha, the world you and I live in IS "the state of awareness".  There is
no existence without it.  I think Mr. Pirsig would agree with that
postulate.  I don't want to be critical of anyone's personal beliefs, but I
see no merit in advancing a worldview that there is nothing but reified
"patterns of goodness or quality", that existence accounts for nothing, and
that we are all caught up in a nihilistic dream that has no basis in
reality.  Surely, this is not the philosophy that RMP had in mind.

It doesn't take a philosopher or a theologian to realize that "I am" is what
makes existence factual.  When you deny the self, you are rejecting the
agent of Value from which your reality is constructed.  (Try to imagine that
reality in your absence.)   Philosophy starts with this self-evident premise
and works toward a plausible conception of ultimate reality with the
understading that nothing comes from nothingness.

Even you would have to concede that the world of appearances is not nothing,
that even a phantasmagorical reality has an ultimate source.  And if the
intelligent design of this universe is not worthy of metaphysical analysis,
and your 'I' is no more than a dream pattern, why bother to explore
philosophy?

Sorry to be so harsh, Marsha, but you appear to be stretching Qualityistic
idealism to the point of absolute nihilism.  And that is a credo I cannot
accept.

If I'm wrong, please restore my faith in your intellectual judgment.

Kindest regards,
Ham