[MD] Forward of "free will" mailing sent to Sam Harris

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 07:11:05 PDT 2011

Hi Tim,

>>[Steve] (The dictum, "when you reach a contradiction, make a
>> distinction," demonstrates exactly how impressed we should all be that
>> a given system is logically coherent and explains why such systems
>> abound rather than one winning over all others.)
>
> [Tim]
> well, this concept is new to me, but it is definitely not what I
> recommend!  I recommend, when you reach a "contradiction", acknowledge
> it, honestly, and humbly.  Steve, it is through such methods that I
> found my success.

Steve:
The free will issue is a perfect example. The notion of free will in
western society today is a product of the theologians' resolution of
the contradictory ideas of a benevolent, omniscient, and omnipotent
God and the existence of evil. If God created everything then God
created evil, right? errr, well...I got it!!!! He gave human beings
free will and they choose to do evil though it was never God's will
for evil to exist!

Best,
Steve