[MD] cloud of probability

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:42:12 PDT 2011

John said:
Well then dave, pray tell what is NOT either "an idea from Physics or an idea used by physicists"?   We all live in a physical reality, from which all our ideas are derived.  Denoting one particular brand of concepts "physical" makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  What isn't? ... Concepts mirror reality, and thus to the extent that reality is dynamic, so are the concepts which picture it.  Dividing concepts and reality sounds like you're getting pretty close to a correspondence theory of truth, which I thought you'd rejected.

dmb says:
There are biological concepts, cultural concepts, philosophical concepts, concepts about concepts. Physical concepts are just one of many, many kinds. Why would that be a problem?
But the idea that we all live in a physical reality and our concepts mirror that reality is exactly what we mean by the correspondence theory and subject-object metaphysics. That's not what I'm saying and that is not what Pirsig or James meant when they said "there must always be a discrepancy between concepts and reality". What they mean, and what I mean, is an alternative to the correspondence theory and SOM. The "reality" they have in mind is not objective reality or physical reality. In the MOQ, experience and reality are the same thing. There is no experience OF reality such that reality is the cause or the source behind experience. It's just experience itself. And I don't mean the experience OF a subjective mind substance either. That is also a secondary concept rather than reality itself. Reality is outside of language and it's pre-conceptual but you know it by direct acquaintance. Experience as its had is not conceptual. It's not true or false and it's not a thing but an ongoing event, a happening, something we go through, suffer and enjoy.

In the MOQ, reality is the immediate flux of life just as it's experienced and the "physical universe" is a concept about reality. When people take this concept as more than a concept and give it the status of reality, that's called reification. It's also called the error of misplaced concreteness. It's a kind of literalism.