[MD] som unplugged - corrected lines

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 20:56:58 PDT 2011

Hello everyone

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM, John Carl <ridgecoyote at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think so, Marsha.  If you enjoy the difficulties of mountain
> climbing, for instance, then you are joyful while enmeshed in even the most
> extreme difficulties.  And if everything is made easy for you, like you're
> locked up in solitary confinement with nothing to do all day long and your
> food provided, it might be that all difficulty has been removed from your
> life, but I'd say that your suffering is at its peak.
>
> The key to your question is "having to endure".  when we feel we have no
> choice, we suffer. Where there is no choice, there is no Quality of life.

Dan:

And your choice is to leave your home and family behind in order to,
what... make a living? I don't know, John; it doesn't seem like much
of a choice to me. Of course, I don't know your circumstances, but
myself, it'd take a team of horses to drag me away. Just saying...

My thinking on Marsha's question is this: suffering comes first, while
the difficulties we face happen after the fact, in how we deal with
the suffering. And if not for suffering, there would be no need to be
free.