[MD] Free Will

craigerb at comcast.net craigerb at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 18:50:18 PDT 2011

[Steve] > This is sufficient for will, > but what are you adding when you attach> the word "free"?

So: what is the difference between exercising your will & exercising
your free will?  When an amoeba backs away from acid or a philadendron
turns toward the sun, it is exercising its will, but it is not FREE to dive into
the acid or turn away from the sun, so it is not exercising FREE will.
 [Craig, previously]
> Once we form an intention/decide, we can consider
> the consequences of doing/not doing the action & then are free to change our mind based
> on this feedback. Animals that cannot do this, do not have free will.

[Steve]
> I agree that humans can consider past events and project into the
> future, and animals probably can't. But why think this ability is more
> free than a bird's ability to flap its wings and fly

Because it is the basis for your choice.

[Steve]
> You assert that we are free to change our minds upon reflection. How
> do I know that we have any choice but to change our minds upon
> reflection and to reflect in the first place if conditions dictate?

I feel I am free to change my mind, so the burden of proof is on

someone who denies I am free to change my mind.  That person is going to have a very difficult task.
Of the millions or billions of people who for thousands of years felt they free to change their mind,
every one of them would have to be wrong every single time.  The odds are staggering.

[Steve]
> I can't simply decide by force of will to
> prefer 2+2=5 over 2+2=4  Some things we decide, some things we prefer. That we can't
always decide our preferences is irrelevant.

[Steve]> In the MOQ, what type of static pattern> "the will"?

The will is the interaction of different spovs.
Craig