[MD] Free Will

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 15 09:36:04 PDT 2011

Steve said to dmb:
... Also, you keep putting up some radical determinism as the only alternative to belief in a radically internal entity called "the will." To deny free will is only to deny the existence of this entity. It is not to say that everything is already determined. Most things could just be random or just held to be of unknown cause.
  ..., the MOQ says we are not free to the extent we are controlled by static patterns and free to the extent that we follow DQ, but in the MOQ, where does the traditional metaphysical entity called "the will" come in? Nowhere that I can see. All I find are denials of it.

dmb says:
I did not realize that you were talking about a radically internal metaphysical entity. I thought we were talking about people.

I thought we were talking about the capacity to resist impulses and desires, not some metaphysical entity's ability to alter or eliminate them. We're on two different topics, apparently. Never mind.