[MD] The Meaning of Life

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:38:48 PDT 2011

Hey David,

DMB said:
I thought the classroom scenes and the questioning of the whole
university grading system would be something that undergrads could
relate to on a personal level.

Matt:
My impression of undergraduate teaching is that this is very sound
reasoning, and those chapters might be the best to pick out by
themselves to start philosophical reflection.  My Phil 101 teacher,
many years ago, used the entirety of ZMM.  Given its structure, I still
think this is a great idea for teaching an introduction to philosophy.

DMB said:
Can you imagine how a student new to philosophy will react to these
chapters without reading the rest of the book? What's a reasonable
expectation in terms of their comprehension level? What sorts of
questions will they ask?

Matt:
In my limited experience, apropos "sorts of questions," it's not
comprehension level that will be your biggest enemy, but interest
level.  Every class has a different dynamic that it sets for itself in
relationship to each other and to the instructor, and I don't have
enough experience to even have a handbag of techniques to get
students to reliably respond to _me_, let alone the idiosyncratic
qualities that every instructor has.  But this you will know ahead of
time: you are an alien to their classroom.  Your presence is a
disruption of the normal flow.  It's not your fault, and some classes
respond joyously to everything.  But odds are, because they don't
know you (given this is actually the case), they won't respond to
you at all.  It's the first day of class all over again.  So if you
assume that know one will respond to you, you can prepare
yourself with Plan Bs.  If you've ever seen a comedian's evolution,
you'll know what I mean: early in their careers, they aren't getting
laughs they'll get later after people know them.  (For example,
compare these two videos of the same Flight of the Conchords song:
early (http://www.youtube.com/user/FOTC0123?blend=10&ob=5)
and later (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbxA8a_M_s).  Watch
the later one first and you can see how Flight had a Plan B for the
end of the song when their act typically has "audience participation.")

But just on comprehension, I think Pirsig does nearly all the work for
you in making it accessible, so I wouldn't worry too much there.  And
what I do for leading discussions is have a series of passages ready
to point directly to and leap off of for class.  The technique would
have three stages: 1) read the passage (have a student do it: even
just having a student read something out loud can be enough to break
the frozen ice of student-silence); 2) lead them to figure out what
_Pirsig_ intends to convey; 3) open up for assessment of what Pirsig
is saying.  (3) then gets you from ZMM to philosophical issues.  For
example, one I would pick is this:

"Here, in college, it was more sophisticated, of course; you were
supposed to imitate the teacher in such a way as to convince the
teacher you were not imitating, but taking the essence of the
instruction and going ahead with it on your own.  That got you A's.
Originality on the other hand could get you anything--from A to F.
The whole grading system cautioned against it." (193)

You might use the passage to ask why the university system seems
to behave this way, why does originality get you, not Fs, but a
continuum.  The way Pirsig states things here is excellent for helping
bridge from bad, simplistic explanations ("teachers don't want
originality") to more sophisticated lines of reasoning ("because
originality doesn't by itself equal excellence"), which is what
pedagogical discussion is for.  Also, in my experience, if you try and
start discussion, and you get a sophisticated answer _first_, go
backward to pick up bad simple answers in order to compare them
to the sophisticated one.  Undergrads will sometimes recognize that
a sophisticated answer is better than a simple one, but they often
won't know why.  Instructors have to build the dialectic for them
because that's the know-how you're trying to breed: getting from
worse to better.

DMB said:
On the other hand, the writing lesson is a kind of metaphor for life
in general. It's about NOT being a slave to the rules. It's about NOT
imitating or parroting. It's about the dull conformist with the
thick-lensed glasses who learns to see for herself. It's about being
soulful and sensitive and caring. It's about NOT being a square.

Matt:
Is it?

You and I might disagree on Pirsig's intentions, or what life is about
generally, _but_ as for pedagogy, these are nice ways to state the
interpretation, and then ask, "Isn't it?"  Because then you're asking
them to flex their refutation skills.  You aren't requiring them to
agree with you on the philosophical point (as opposed to the textual
point), which goes along anyways with the tenor of "down with bad
teachers" of ZMM.  You can even supply them with the first easy
questions to ask: "what if you _want_ to be a slave to the rules?"
Make them explicate the reasons for not wanting this or that.  "What
if you _are_ dull?  Is Pirsig saying we all have a hidden capacity for
being interesting if we just tried hard enough?  What if you just can't,
 what if you're the girl staring at the brick, and just can't say
anything?  What if you can only imitate?  How do we judge you now?"
I would have a series of questions like this in mind, ones that lend
themselves to different lines of reasoning, even if you don't like all
the paths, just to get a hook in someone to start a conversation.

Matt