[MD] The Meanings of Life

X Acto xacto at rocketmail.com
Fri Jun 17 07:36:41 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----
From: Steven Peterson <peterson.steve at gmail.com>
To: moq_discuss at moqtalk.org
 Fri, June 17, 2011 8:06:12 AM

Steve said:

Hi dmb, Ron, Matt, Dan, all,

What if instead of asking one another, "what is the meaning of life?"
they instead asked, "what are the meanings of life?" Is the first
question which presupposes a single meaning in some way more
legitimate than the second? I suspect that people wouldn't find the
issue at all vexing if they asked the second question since meanings
abound. It reminds me of the scene Ron mentioned where Pirsig helps
Chris write a letter. The questions, "what do I want to say?," and,
"what do I want to say first?," get in one another's way.

Ron:
I think you are on to something and add the caveat that perhaps we should
be asking "what is the meaning(s) of MY life" to the aim of the inquiry.

What makes this approach so powerful is that it gives a practicle application
of the exercise of value (some things are better than others) and how it helps
to sort out our thoughts and make our ideas more intelligible

Steve:
I think another worthy consideration regarding ZAMM and the meaning of
life is Pirsig's list of questions typifying philosophical inquiry.
When it is said that something means something, just what exactly is
that supposed to even mean? Before people ask, "what is the meaning of
life?" they may do well to consider what they mean by "meaning" in
order to pose the question in a way that could ever possibly elicit
satisfying answers.

Ron:
Which would be a good way to introduce value or Quality.

.....thnx Steve

----