[MD] The Meaning of Life

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 09:43:49 PDT 2011

dmb:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM, david buchanan <dmbuchanan at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Can you imagine how a student new to philosophy will react to these
> chapters without reading the rest of the book?

I can imagine a gamut of reactions - from fascination to disgust.  I do
agree with your choices tho.  Those passages are the same ones I usually use
when trying to explain what the MoQ means by Quality to somebody who asks me
why I'm interested in the MoQ and what it's all about.   I think those
chapters encapsulate perfectly, the root issues and people either care about
what is good, in which case you've hooked them, or they don't, in which case
you've just turned them off.  But who cares about the latter?  The
philosophy net is cast far and wide, and the rejects get thrown back into
the sea.  You're searching for the keepers, right?

dmb:

> Or maybe I should have picked all those "dirty" passages in Lila and hired
> an over-perfumed prostitute to join me as a visual aid. Darn! I think it
> might be too late to switch at this point.

There's a good audio visual clip for ya, from Monty Python's famous movie of
the same name - Meaning of Life.  It's where the professor expounds upon the
clitoris, using his wife as a demonstration in front of the whole class and
they just sort of stare with a bored look, doodling away, looking out the
window.  Their little student minds always on something else than whatever
the professor has to say.

Good luck with that!

John